This guide explains how to create a graded Harmonize discussion in your Moodle course. Use the Table of Contents to navigate to written instructions for each section.
Creating Your Assignment
Within your course, ensure Edit Mode is toggled ON.
With Edit Mode on, click + Add An Activity or Resource
In the dialogue that appears, find and select the Harmonize option
On the page, click the Select content button
In the Select content window, choose Discussion and click Create New:
On the form that appears, enter a title for your discussion, select the Graded option, enter the maximum number of points for your discussion, and click the Create Discussion button:
The discussion title will automatically populate in the Moodle Activity name field. Click Save and Display. This will open the Harmonize Edit Topic page:
Editing Your Harmonize Discussion
The Harmonize Edit Topic page consists of four main tabs: Instructions, Post Settings, Milestone Due Dates & Auto-Grading, and Student Facilitators. In this article we'll focus on the first three, but I will include links to help guides with more information on all four tabs.
- Before moving on, be sure to set an Available From date, Due Date, and Available Until date for your discussion!
Using Harmonize Brainstorm to Create Your Discussion Prompt
We’ve integrated ChatGPT into Harmonize and coupled it with sound pedagogy on what makes a good discussion prompt so you can write prompts more quickly and effectively. The instructional video at the top of this page touches on this feature and I've included an additional video below.
For even more information and step-by-step instructions, please see the following Harmonize Brainstorm help guide:
When using Harmonize Brainstorm, it's always a great idea to proofread the text and correct any mistakes you find. You are also free to add additional resources such videos or images to enrich your discussion prompt.
- Once your instructions are completed you are free to Save & Close the Harmonize Edit Topic page. You'll be able to publish the assignment in Canvas and your students will then be able to participate in your Harmonize discussion.
- However, if your Instructions require students to create multiple posts and comments, we highly recommend visiting the Milestones & Auto-Grading tab to set explicit participation requirements.
Setting Milestones (Multiple Due Dates) & Auto-Grading
Once your Instructions are written it's time to set your Milestone and participation Auto-Grading Settings. Please see the following links for more information on these features:
- Setting Milestones in Your Harmonize Discussion
- Setting Word Count Minimums for your Milestones
- Be sure to set your Available From
- Configure your Milestones following the instructions in the articles above.
- Once you're finished, click the Save & Close button on the lower right of the Harmonize Edit Topic page. You've now successfully created your Harmonize discussion!
- When you're ready, publish the assignment in Canvas. Your students can now access and participate in the discussion.
Additional Discussion Settings: Plagiarism & AI Detection, Visibility Settings, and Student Facilitators
Would you like to learn about additional Harmonize features and settings such as enabling plagiarism & AI detection, changing post visibility settings, or enabling Student Facilitators? Please see the links below for more information.
The Post Settings tab is where you'll enable your Turnitin integration and set post visibility. Outlining instructions here would make for a very long help guide, so I've instead provided links to additional guides that help explain these features:
Student Facilitation is a powerful tool for increasing engagement within your discussions and promote deeper learning for your students. Learn more about it here: